Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My article about my Dachshund got published

Dachshunds have a bad rep that I was kinda praying that this article would help eliminate.

So I am so very happy that it got published and people will be able to see my Longhair Miniature Dachshund.

Pretty Boy Von Newgate AKA Pico

Reader Stories: Living with a Dachshund

From Kathryn Martinez, About.com Guest
Pumkin, Piper (Pico's sisters) & Pico at a dog show
Pico first dog show

Dog's Name & Age: 

Pretty Boy Von Newgate (Pico for short). He will be 3 on November 21st 2010

In a Word, My Dachshund Is… 

A Longhair Mini Male Dachshund who loves children.

Best Characteristics of the Breed 

Loyal, loving, fun and protective.

Most Challenging Characteristics of the Breed 

His dislike of hats on anyone or anything.

When, Where and How I Got My Dachshund 

Received him from a breeder who are also now my friends. They live in the Roseville, CA area. Pico was the 2nd runt in the litter. I fell in love with him from the 1st minute I laid eyes on him. He was a loner and didn't sleep with the rest of the puppies most of the time. I first saw him when he was 2 weeks old and brought him home when he was 7 weeks old. He was purchased for a low fee, but well worth every penny.

I'd Describe My Dog As… 

He is a loving and funny dog. He loves to play with children and is great with them. He is very protective of the house and our cars when he is inside them. He is also extremely protective of my 9 year old and has been from the being.
He was very easy to train, it is just being on top of him all the time for the first 3 months he was with our family.
I have no medical problems with Pico. If you go to a breeder who has a great reputation these medical issues are usually very slim.
Longhaired Dachshunds (whether Standard or Minis) are very easy to groom. Pico is given a bath every 2 to 4 weeks in the winter and every week in the summer. In the summer Pico goes swimming with the family in our pool, so bathing and grooming is more frequent to make sure the chlorine in the pool doesn't damage his coat.
Pico is brushed once a week except when showing. Then he is groomed 2 to 4 times a week to keep his coat looking shinning and smooth.
Pico is the best dog that I have ever owned or lived with. I have had many different types of dogs in my life time: Labs, Golden Retrievers, Shepherds, Pit Bulls, 2 types of Terriers, Spaniel, and a couple of Mutts. But Pico is the one dog who will give his whole heart and do whatever is asked of him without any hassles. He is happy with the simplest things. As long as he is with us he is totally content. He is a lap dog 100%, but is just as content to be on his bed next to me at my computer desk. I think him just knowing that I am right there is enough for him.
He cuddles every night in my 9 year old's bed. Best part is no matter if I am gone 5 minutes or a week. He is just so very happy to see me that the feeling I get is so wonderful that you just can't help but love him.

Advice 

  • Weight is an issue that must be watched. This breed is prone to being overweight. Just watch how much and what you give your Dachshund. Treats should be limited.
  • Exercise is a must! But exercise with a Dachshund is a good walk around a long block or playing fetch in the back yard for a 1/2 hour. The have energy, but do wear out fast.
  • BIGGEST ADVICE I CAN OFFER!!!! SOCIALIZE YOUR DACHSHUND from the very beginning. This breed has what I call a 'short man's complex' and needs to be out and among all ages of people, other dogs and cats.
  • Give this breed lots of love and it will be returned 100 times over.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment